Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Per Jamie's Request

Here is my banana bread recipe, which is actually my mom's banana bread recipe, although I have taken the liberty of tweaking it.

2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil (vegetable or canola)
2 eggs
3 c. flour
pinch of salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
2/3 sour milk or buttermilk
5 mashed bananas

Mix sugar, oil and eggs until combined.
Stir in dry ingredients.
Add milk & bananas, mix to combine.

Bake in greased loaf pans at 350 degrees for one hour. Makes 2 loaves. Do not add nuts. This is not banana nut bread. If it were, I would have said so.

To make sour milk, add little white vinegar to perfectly good milk when you start this recipe and let it sit until you need it. Voila! Sour milk.

Here are my tweaks:
*I always use whole wheat flour for 2 of the cups of flour. No one has ever noticed and it seems to make the bread more substantial.
*When mixing the wet ingredients, I pour in some vanilla (probably around a teaspoon), cinnamon and nutmeg. I don't measure, just pour until it seems like enough. I play around with other spices, too, but cinnamon and nutmeg are ALWAYS in my banana bread.
*I don't mash the bananas all the way. I like to have some gooey banana chunks in the bread.
*I usually use a couple of bananas that have been frozen (and are now thawed). They turn into this gross-looking banana liquid when they thaw, but it makes the bread really moist. (When my bananas are starting to get past the point where we'll eat them, I just put them in the freezer, in the peel, and save them for banana bread time.)

There you have it. This is my version of my mom's banana bread. It's kind of famous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your little additions. I'll have to try it the next time I make banana bread. The recipe came to me via a next-door-neighbor years ago who was from England. It is still a favorite.

Damien Stepick said...

The greatest banana bread on the planet people... sorry mom, but Wendy's is the best!!!!

TheOneTrueSue said...

Altering Mom's banana bread recipe? Heresy!

Annie Jarman said...

Thank you! I lost the paper I wrote it on the first time you gave it to me.

Jamie Lynn said...

YAY!!!!!! I wanted this! Thanks Wendy, I will try it this week and let you know how it goes. I'm not so good at bread......so, we'll see!

Wendy said...

Jamie, it's not like making regular bread. It's a batter, really, so it's more like making a cake. A delicious, bready cake.