Saturday, March 29, 2008

Three Bean and Corn Salad with Salsa Vinaigrette

If you invite me to a potluck barbecue, chances are I'm bringing this. I love it because it's easy, it's healthy, and it's so good. The original recipe came from a chef on the Today show a few years ago, but I've made a couple of changes.

1 can each kidney beans, Great Northern beans, and black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
3 green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and chopped
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup tomato salsa
2 to 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a bowl, combine all the beans with the corn, green onions and bell pepper. Mix well.

2. In a small bowl*, whisk together the oil, salsa, vinegar, garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and stir to mix. Let stand for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.

4. Just before serving, garnish with cilantro.

*I put all of the dressing ingredients into a jar, put the lid on and shake it up- especially if I'm making this ahead of time or taking it somewhere, since I can just leave it in the jar until I'm ready to use it.

6 comments:

Lisa Tippetts said...

Hi Wendy! First off when it comes to my blog, no one is crashing, all are welcome:) Second, I want to see yours. I hope all is going well. Your cake was beautiful by the way.

Me said...

ooo, that does sound gooood

Mary said...

This is soooooooooo...... good! Thanks for the recipe Wendy!

Lisa Tippetts said...

Hey Wendy,
My e-mail is ltippetts@mbpools.com
Thanks!!!

Deb said...

I love bean salads - they are so quick and tasty! I like to add a splash of hot sauce on mine.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Oh, maybe I can bring this. But I don't know what cumin is. DAMMIT.